Hello there, skin health seekers! Dr. Doug here. Today we're embarking on an eye-opening journey to reveal some shocking truths about the skincare industry.
Imagine this. You're holding your favorite skincare product in your hands. You've been using it religiously, trusting that it's working its magic on your skin. But what if I told you that some of the ingredients in that very bottle are banned in Europe due to potential health risks? (1)
Yes, you heard it right! The European Union (EU) has banned over 1,300 chemicals in cosmetics, while the U.S. has outlawed only about 11. (2) That's a staggering discrepancy, wouldn't you say?
Let's take a closer look at a few ingredients on the EU's blacklist that are surprisingly still prevalent in U.S. skincare products.
- Parabens: Parabens are commonly used as preservatives in various skincare products. However, they're linked with endocrine disruption, which can affect hormonal balance. (3)
- Phthalates: These chemicals are often found in fragrances, and they're known for their potential links to reproductive and developmental harm. (4)
- Formaldehyde and formaldehyde releasers: Used for their preservative properties, these chemicals are recognized as human carcinogens. (5)
This unsettling truth begs the question: why would we subject our bodies to these potentially harmful substances?
Here at Dr. Doug's, our philosophy is simple. We believe in the power of nature, and we're committed to creating products that are safe, effective, and free from potentially harmful synthetic ingredients. Instead of using parabens, we use ingredients like Vitamin E, a natural preservative. Instead of phthalates, we use essential oils for our fragrances. Our commitment is to your health, beauty, and wellbeing.
Take our Miracle Balm, for example. It's a multi-purpose product that works wonders on chapped lips, dry skin, minor cuts, soothing the symptoms of eczema and more. Best of all, it's free from parabens, phthalates, and any other ingredient that might cause you to raise an eyebrow.
In the end, the secret to great skincare isn't found in a lab – it's found in Mother Nature herself. That's the belief that powers every Dr. Doug's product.
Stay informed, folks. Your skin—and your health—are worth it.
Till next time,
- Environmental Working Group (EWG).
- Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act)
- Darbre, P. D., & Harvey, P. W. (2008). Paraben esters: review of recent studies of endocrine toxicity, absorption, esterase and human exposure, and discussion of potential human health risks. Journal of applied toxicology, 28(5), 561-578.
- Zota, A. R., Phillips, C. A., & Mitro, S. D. (2018). Recent fast food consumption and Bisphenol A and Phthalates exposures among the US population in NHANES, 2003–2010. Environment International, 114, 392-403.
- National Cancer Institute (NCI). Formaldehyde and Cancer Risk.